Q: Whooping noise when brakes are applied

My car sat for several weeks.The parking brake was on during that time. When I turned it on after that period, it started making a whooping sound. It came from the back tires. The sound was accompanied with a bit of grinding that disappeared later on. The whooping sound is still noticeable however. The sound can be heard during braking, but it is much quieter during braking at speeds as low as 10-20 mph. I had the bearing replaced but still hear the sound. I was told at the shop that everything seemed fine, including rotors and brake pads. What could be causing this noise? Is it normal? Thanks.

Try rotating the tires to see if the tires have a small flat spot. If the noise moves to the front then replace the tires. If the noise stays in the back then have the brake rotors resurfaced or replaced to see if this corrects the problem.

I’d recommend getting your car inspected by a certified technician, they will be able to diagnose the sound you’re hearing and make the necessary repairs to fix it.