Q: I hear chirping from under the hood most prevalent while braking. The noise stops when the car is no longer moving.

asked by on July 05, 2017

The noise seems to come from the drive belt area. It is a continuous chirping sound when it occurs. It does not happen every time I drive. I notice it most while braking, but it does happen when accelerating and coasting, too.The noise usually stops completely when the car stops moving. When the issue is occurring, the noise can be produced at idle by revving the engine.

I also noticed that occasionally the noise can be heard briefly when I hit a hard bump.

One time I heard the noise while the engine was idling and the car was parked. Upon inspection I noticed that when I firmly touched the car's right headlight or bumper area the noise seemed to dissipate, then when I removed my hand it reappeared.

Because this issue seems to present itself randomly and under differing circumstances, I am not sure what the issue is. Could this be a belt issue, a pulley/bearing issue, or just something rubbing against something?

Thanks in advance!

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello there. Thanks for the detailed description on your inquiry - it really helps us out. Based on what you have indicated, my first assumption would be that you have a loose serpentine / drive belt or a pulley that is showing early signs of wearing out. When the noise happens during breaking and normal operation, it tends to be caused by a belt that is frayed or loose. As you accelerate, the belt will tighten naturally; which is why the sound might slow down during idle. If the belt and pulley’s have not been replaced within 40,000 miles or so, it’s probably due to be completed. Since it’s possible that this could be from a different source, it’s also a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection to verify the source of this noise before making repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr