Q: Major coolant leak when aircon is turned on

Major coolant leaking occurs under car on drivers side of the engine only if Aircon is switched on, however if off leaking does not occur. After 3-5mins of aircon with the engine on, green coolant fluid is all over the ground and there is practically nothing left in the radiator tank. Also there is small black dirt that sits at the bottom of the fluid. What could this be? Also would I be able to fix the problem on my own? As it doesn’t seem to serious

Thanks

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Mel. Thanks for contacting us today. Generally speaking, the operation of the AC system should not create a coolant leak to occur, as coolant does not flow through the AC unit in any capacity. However, an engine will "work harder" when the AC is on, so smaller leaks may increase in volume when this occurs. In regards to what exactly is causing the leak, that’s impossible for us to tell without completing a visual inspection. In regards to whether or not you can repair it, that depends on your automotive experience. I will tell you that one major step of completing any coolant leak repair is knowing the correct procedures for priming the coolant system, to avoid air bubbles and potential overheating. You can refer to a service and repair manual for this process and steps for repairing a coolant leak, but you might want to let a professional mechanic deal with it.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr