Q: Rough start but will start fine after about 5 minutes of running. Now ticking has developed.

I recently had to replace the timing belt tensioner and idler pulley in my car as it had a slight ticking coming from that area which started to get worse. after I took it apart I relized the harmonic balancer and crankshaft gear had been damaged in the crankshaft roll pin slot like it had spread the slot I had not been able to reconnect the second accessory belt for the a/c (stripped bolt head) could the a/c belt not connected be causing all my issues by pulling on the balancer more towards the water pump and alternator? also the ticking sound will come and go completely at random sometimes seconds other times for minutes rpm doesn't affect when it makes the ticking My car has a manual transmission.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. A ticking noise on the front of an engine that comes and goes could be the drive belt tensioner being worn, pulleys out of alignment causing the components to fail making the noise, or the timing belt tensioner being worn making the ticking noise. When not having the a/c connected to the belt will have no effect on the engine as it is a loss of load applied to the engine. Check the drive belts, the accessories (alternator, power steering pump) and see if the noise is coming from those areas. If you need further assistance with your engine ticking noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr