Q: Car overheated yesterday believe to have a broken/cracked hose from reservoir to the motor and towed it home added water went to s

asked by on June 21, 2017

Went to start and it sounds like it wants to but won't kick over. Need help

Check for diagnostic trouble codes. Overheating has the potential to cause head gasket leaks and valve and piston damage. You should measure cylinder compression to first be sure that the engine is basically mechanically sound. If cylinder compression is normal, it is possible that the high heat has damaged one or more control components. For example, high heat can damage the crankshaft position sensor but there are many other components that could plausibly account for the trouble. Again, due to the overheating, I would first check the engine compression and then you have to run down all the usual fuel, ignition, and air induction system faults that could account for a no start condition. The high heat could have even warped the intake manifold causing a substantial vacuum leak. Overheating has the potential to damage the engine cooling system thermostat so, if you did not replace the thermostat in the course of the hose repair, be watchful for future overheating due to a damaged thermostat. If you want the no start condition diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.