Q: Low oil frequently

asked by on August 22, 2017

I think my car has been running low on oil very quickly. I had my oil changed September last year, and by March, I was running low again at "Min" on the dashboard. I refilled to "Max", and from March to August, my car was back at "Min." I've driven about 7000 miles since September last year. I have not seen any leaks. At my last YourMechanic appointment, my servicing guy said that I just needed to add more oil and did not mention a leak or anything. Is it normal for a car to burn through oil so quickly? Could there be something else wrong?

It is considered normal for a cars engine to consume some oil under normal conditions. Most manufacturers have an amount for their engine oil consumption and is on average a quart of oil for every 1000 miles is considered normal. Some engines will use less and others may use a little more. From your add mark to full is only one quart and you have only used two quarts in 7000 miles is pretty good. You are using about one quart for every 2500 miles. This woud be considered normal oil consumption.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr