Q: Q: Grinding noise during starting

The starter has been replaced twice so that is not the problem. A mechanic seems to think the car is backfiring during startup so the bendix cannot disengage quick enough so the starter is screeching. The selinoids and ignition coil have been replaced and the car continues to make the noise. What can be causing the problem?

Hi There, I believe you may be on the right track in terms of the starter gear not disengaging from the flywheel quick enough upon start up. This can happen for a couple of reasons. Either the starter solenoid itself may be faulty or, as your mechanic mentions, if the car is backfiring at start up, this could also cause this to happen. However, if the car is backfiring during start up, this generally means you have some kind of misfire happening which would likely continue beyond start up. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your car to see what may be causing this to happen.

3. Q: Grinding noise during starting