Q: Camshaft issue

About a month ago my check engine light went on. I went to AutoZone to get the diagnostic, it came back Camshaft Sensor Bank 1. I bought the part and changed it, no problems. Today I was driving and the engine light went on again, I went to AutoZone again with the diagnostic result being the same, Camshaft Sensor Bank 1. I told the person working I just changed that about a month ago. I was told you will have to take it to a mechanic and pay a lot to get it fixed. Is there something that needs to be done besides putting a new one on, and why did it only work for a month? I dont have a lot of money to fix the issue. Please and Thank you for the help.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. The most l...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The most likely cause of this issue would be a leaking camshaft seal that may need to be replaced. Many times the camshaft sensor will have a blockage near it that prevents engine oil from reaching the sensor. The engine oil can then contaminate the camshaft sensor and cause it to give improper readings. I believe this is the reason that your new camshaft sensor worked for a short time period because it was dry upon installation.

I would recommend checking the new camshaft sensor to see if any oil has reached it. If oil has reached the camshaft sensor, the oil seal has failed and would require replacement in order to resolve this issue. YourMechanic offers this service by coming to your home or office to replace the camshaft seal for you. Hope this helps and good luck!