Q: Car starts fine, sputters even when giving it gas, shakes and dies, sometimes there's a clanging in the engine

asked by on December 31, 2016

Car starts fine everytime. Then it immediately starts sputtering and shaking. We have tried giving it gas to keep it alive but the RPM needle just around like crazy even if we're just holding the gas pedal in one place. After a few seconds it sputters out and dies. Not every time but sometimes we hear a clanging in the engine. We can't drive the car at all.

Hi there. Sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel as if the fuel pump is not working. The engine will start normally and then die off when you give it gas. Check the fuel pressure when the engine is started and monitor the pressure as you give it gas. If the pressure drops, then either the fuel pump is not working or the fuel pressure regulator is not working. First check to see if the fuel pump is working and staying on. Check the fuel pressure relay and make sure that its not getting hot. If the relay is getting hot, it will shut off and on due to the heat. If the fuel pump is active and is working, then check the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is power to it. If there is power, then I recommend replacing the fuel pressure regulator. If there is no power to the fuel pressure regulator, then check the wiring with the engine key off and check for ohms to see if there is a break in the wiring. If the meter reads OL, then there is a break in the wiring and the wiring would need to be repaired. Check the fuse box for any fuses that could be burned keeping the fuel system from working. If everything is working fine, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your low power and stalling issue.