Q: My car's oil cooler line is leaking antifreeze

I have a small leak of antifreeze coming out of the oil cooler line. This is what i was told from firestone which declined to repair/replace it. Fire stone manager said that they dont have the correct tool(s) to replace the oil cooler line because they will need to clamp the line is to its rubber connectors?..he suggested to take it to a chrysler dealer for repair. I'm i dealing with a competent mechanic here or may be
this kind of repair is to complex for firestone. I also need help with the correct part name and number of this oil cooler line. Firestone said the part can cost $300+?? Thanks J

A: Hello. From what you describe, it appears t...

Hello. From what you describe, it appears that you are being provided with conflicting information. Oil cooler lines will usually leak oil, as oil is what flows through those lines. If the engine is leaking coolant, then it is either from the coolant lines that go to the oil cooler or from somewhere else in the cooling system.

My research indicates that the coolant lines that go to the oil cooler use regular hoses and should not require any special tools to remove. If Firestone said they are unable to do the repair, I would find another technician to work on the vehicle. In order to provide you with the part number I would need to know which hose is leaking, whether it is the feed or return hose from the oil cooler.

I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection to determine why coolant is leaking and replace the oil cooler line if necessary.