Q: Knocking sound when going over bumps in road

My car has around 122,000 miles and my current problem appeared after my mechanic replaced a link in the sway bar. Now, when I go over a bump in the road, there is a knocking sound. Sounds like a loose nut perhaps, or suspension, or perhaps electrical. The car completely died on me one time, but not since. It rides fine, but what do you think causes the knocking sound?

A: Without being able to hear the noise it wil...

Without being able to hear the noise it will be hard to make an accurate assessment, but worn or damaged strut mounts can be extremely noisy while driving over bumps and exhibit a noise similar to what you describe. However, this is only one possibility and the entire suspension system should be inspected. Chassis ears may need to be used while the vehicle is traveling over bumps to determine the source of the noise. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the expertise and equipment to determine the source of the noise and correct the issue.