Q: Burning a lot of oil and none is leaking out, how bad is it?

I am very disappointed that at only 68,000 miles, my 2008 Honda Odyssey is burning through oil at a seriously alarming rate. I am putting a quart in every 1,500 miles between scheduled oil changes. I do not know what is causing this, but it must be burning off because I have not found any significant leaks. What can I do about this problem?

A: Well, you may be one of the lucky Honda Ody...

Well, you may be one of the lucky Honda Odyssey owners that was included in the Class action lawsuit in the court of Northern California, Alex Soto and Vince Eagan v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. settlement on September 9, 2013. This case alleges that Honda hid the oil consumption problem from it consumers and told them that it was normal for the power-train to burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The plaintiffs also claimed that the Honda Accord had 130 website complaints for just the 2008 year alone. The settlement involved many other models, including the 2008-2013 Odysseys. This forces Honda to cover the power-train for 8 years from the date of sale or lease. I would recommend contacting your dealer, confirm your vin# is included, then let them know you are have a problem addressed by this settlement and you want it repaired. If your vehicle is not included in this settlement, I’m afraid there is nothing that Honda Odyssey owners can do about this except to perform the engine repairs needed to fix the excessive oil consumption issue.