Q: I have a 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion 2.6l (G54b)vin D 8th digit. The engine recently went out. I found other engines that wer

Engine (2.6l vin D)recently went out on me due to lack of compression. So Im now at the point where I have to replace engine. I've found some replacement engines some rebuilt and some used. I notice with some they say that the 8th digit (Vin d) needs to match. Some that I found have different 8th digit vin, but were also oem of the same year,model, and make of car. My question is do the 8th digit vin have to match the oem engine that Im replacing.

Thanks, Mr.Madison

The "D" in the eighth position of your VIN number designates the 2.6L engine. If your VIN has a "B" in the eighth position, that designates the 2.2L engine. Inasmuch as your vehicle was equipped with the 2.6L engine you should not select an engine that came from a vehicle with a "B" in the VIN as that engine would not match what you have. If you are looking for an engine for your 1982 LeBaron, simply go to Car-Part.com and you will find an exact match for your car (there are many listed). If you are interested in an engine swap (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. I have a 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion 2.6l (G54b)vin D 8th digit. The engine recently went out. I found other engines that wer