Q: When I had my oil changed, dealer saw some leaking from the steering-said will have to have the 'rack' replaced @ $1500 sometime

I do not have any leakage on the garage floor from the steering leak. How big of a problem is this and when do I need to get it repaired. I am not having any difficulty with the steering of the CR-V. Is this a 911 or how do I handle this. Is $1500 a fair price- am thinking of pricing with some free standing repair shops instead of the dealership. Is this a difficult repair or rather routine?

A: The steering rack in your vehicle is connec...

The steering rack in your vehicle is connected to the tie rods and help stabilize the steering system. When there is slack in this or these become worn out, the rack will also put additional strain on your power steering system. When this happens it can cause additional stress to be put on the power steering pump which can eventually cause leaks. All of these components work on somewhat of a chain reaction. This is not an emergency, however it could quickly become one at some point soon if not taken care of. As for the price, it is hard to say given that most dealerships and shops charge many different prices. I would recommend getting a second opinion by having an expert, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose the steering leak and suggest a repair.