Q: Engine stalled, made clicking noise, made smoke

Couple of day ago, I was stopped with the engine still on, when the car stalled out. After adding some gas, I restarted the car and it ran well. The same day, I parked the car for a short while and when continued driving, I noticed that the engine was making a clicking noise. This was followed by stalling and the smoke coming from the engine. I pulled over and there was a firework smell to it. What had happened and what could be the damage?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2011 Mercedes E550. This sounds like potentially a bad crankshaft sensor. I would recommend having the car scanned to see which trouble codes show up.  More than likely, there will be more than one pointing to the crankshaft position sensor. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling problem and let you know what needs repair.