Q: Difficulty shifting to higher gears

My car has difficulty shifting at certain situations. It started having these problems a couple of months ago. Each time I need to shift to higher gears, the car would occasionally shift and sometimes not. When it does shift, it kind of keeps holding back and hesitates. When I hit the gas and it reaches high RPMs, I would be able to shift if I let go off the gas pedal and then apply it again after I shift. The car has trouble developing speed and shifting to higher gears, so I usually drive below 65 mph. What could be wrong?

Hello there. Thanks for writing in about your 1972 Chevrolet El Camino. A few different faults could cause the vehicle to have shifting and acceleration problems. The most common would be the transmission linkage, low fluid level, torque converter, or a mechanical transmission issue. I suggest having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose your shifting problem and perform any repairs required.

3. Difficulty shifting to higher gears