Q: Difficulty getting into Park gear

The car is very difficult getting the gear into Park. The only way it will do it is to pump the brake pedal very hard a number of times. Car has 150,000 miles on it.

Hello. It sounds like you have an issue with the park lock solenoid. This part is located inside of the shifter assembly. When it fails, it will engage and either keep the vehicle from coming out of park or will keep it from going into park. I usually take the shifter assembly apart and test the solenoid to see what is going on. Some of the time, it is just dirty and this will occur. To have this inspected, a qualified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue and help you move forward with repairs.

3. Difficulty getting into Park gear