Q: Creaking noise upon releasing the clutch

asked by on July 26, 2016

I've purchased a previously owned car with 70,000 miles on it. I've noticed the creaking noise while I'm shifting out of first, upon releasing the clutch. The noise is apparent when I drive over bumps as well. Is this a serious issue?

Hello. This is usually caused by either a worn out engine or transmission mount or an issue with a worn out suspension bushing. Either one will allow parts to move when they should be stationary and will cause this noise that you are getting.

To check this I usually suspend the vehicle in the air and inspect all of these components for wear. Once I find the worn out component I replace it. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and make the necessary repairs.