Q: Transmission lights no gears

My car only has 9000 mi. on it and a bunch of things went wrong all at once. My transmission light started to blink on my dash. It said that I needed to stop the car and reset the system! I pulled over and turned off the car, and it wouldn’t start again. I got a message that I needed to find the closest BMW service center. Then when I tried to start my car the gears - drive, neutral and reverse wouldn’t show up, and I couldn’t even put it in park. The navigation system said that it was a DSC or DTC fault. I finally got my car to start again, but it wouldn’t go over 60 mph. There was no pick up - like I was driving a high gear. Do you know what’s going on? Any ideas?

Hello. Your BMW 745Li has a shutdown feature which helps to prevent additional damage to other components of the car when there is a problem with the engine and/or transmission. Using the information that you have provided, it sounds like there may be a problem with the transmission and driving the vehicle would not be a good idea until the problem is repaired. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your Transmission Light and advise you on the best path to repair.

3. Transmission lights no gears