Q: Coolant thermostat and motor mount replacement

I live in Northern Virginia and need to have my coolant thermostat replaced (the check engine light came on and I had the problem diagnosed at a few shops). The coolant thermostat sensor is working, however each of the shops are quoting over $600 for parts and labor. After looking up the part at AutoZone, I saw that they were overcharging for the coolant thermostat (average price with sensor is $125). Is a $600 replacement cost justified? It seems that the work will only take 1-2 hours, but some mechanics have suggested a coolant flush while others have not.

Additionally, I need to replace my motor mounts because the car is vibrating a lot and very loudly. The vibrations are happening throughout the car, though I notice them more in the driver's side than the passenger side. I'm not sure which mounts need to be specifically replaced. How much should I expect this replacement to cost?

Thank you for your help.

Hello. My research indicates that the replacing the thermostat on this vehicle could be considered a labor intensive or time consuming procedure. This translates to a higher than normal cost to replace a thermostat for this vehicle, when compared to most other vehicles. The cost will also vary according to the shops labor rate, and the amount of time they choose to charge. A coolant flush is also a good idea when servicing the cooling system, and often recommended as it will help maximize the life of the coolant and the cooling system components by cleaning out any particles or contaminants in the cooling system. In regards to the motor mounts, a careful inspection of the mounts would be required to determine which ones need to be replaced. If the vibration seems to be more pronounced on the driver side then it may be possible that the driver side mount is the one that requires attention. As it appears there are multiple issues, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to address the issues.

3. Coolant thermostat and motor mount replacement