Q: Clunking while shifting from first to second gear on 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

Lately, my truck has started to make a clunking sound each time I shift from first gear into second gear. Other than that,the shifting is fine. There are no leaks as I can see. Also, the dashboard doesn't show any lights on. The truck has gone around 180,000 miles. What could be causing this?

The shifting clunk you feel may be in the transmission when changing gears, the torque on the bands when released may cause the momentary reversal of the output shaft between gears. The manufacturer states in technical bulletin 01-07-30-042h that this is a normal condition and no repair is needed. I can only recommend having the transmission checked to make sure this TSB applies to your issue. If you don’t want to go through the dealer, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect your shifting problem to ensure that car is in good working condition.

• Clunking while shifting from first to second gear on 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche