Q: Car overheats and makes noise while idling

My car is overheating and making a noise in the engine while it is idling. It just started overheating, and the temperature is hitting red.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi. If you are getting an engine noise associated with an engine overheating problem, then most of the time it is caused by a failing water pump. When the pump fails, it will start to make noise and even leak. A mechanic would typically access the water pump and check it to see if it is hard to move and to see if the coolant is flowing. Hopefully the engine has not gotten hot enough to cause any problems. I would get some assistance from a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to inspect the noise coming form the engine.