Q: How can I tell if it's my timing chain or something else?

My check engine light is on. Someone told me it could be the timing chain, but others said it isn't because then my car would not be running. It sounds like it may need a tune-up?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, I will need a bit more information before confirming if the issue lies in your timing chain or not. Your car can certainly run and start with a timing issue, however it is not safe and will most likely cause your ride to be shaky and rough. I suggest you having one of our local mechanics perform a tune-up on your vehicle before anything else, especially before replacing a timing chain, before spending a lot of money on replacing it if it didn’t even need to be replaced. I have found that most often than not, engine mounts are the reason for your car shaking while at idle. Good luck and I hope this helps!