Q: Clicking sound when turning.

I can hear a clicking sound when turning my car.

This is something I like to describe as the “infamous clicking when turning” concern. Rest assured this is a very common problem. In most cases, this clicking noise is due to a failing axle shaft assembly.

On each end of the axle shaft are rubber boots filled with grease. This grease lubricates the rotating joints as the vehicle’s wheels encounter rough terrain. This is comes particularly into play when the wheels are turning. There are cases where the grease inside the boots will breakdown and dry out. In other cases the boot develops a tear and grease gets flung out by centrifugal force when driving down the road. Either way, when this happens the joints are unable to stay lubricated and will start to rub metal to metal as they rotate. This is when you will observe the clicking noises you hear on your car when you turn the wheels.

While this is the most common reason for the clicking when turning concern, sometimes other components, such as ball joints and wheel bearings, can also produce a similar noise. Due to this it is in your best interest enlist the help of a certified mechanic to ensure the correct diagnosis and repair of your vehicle, helping you save time and money in the long run.

3. Clicking sound when turning.