Q: Sensor problem? Transmission overheating

My car will start driving rough and act like it doesn't want to catch speed. Then it will completely lose pressure causing me to have to pull over. Once I'm pulled over, a message on my dash will say transmission overheating turn off for 8 minutes. When I've waited the 8 minutes it's will drive like nothing ever happened for days and days . What might be the problem and is it a expensive fix? Thanks

Hi there. Your Focus has what is called a dual-clutch "automatic" transmission. Mechanically, it is a manual transmission with 2 clutches and servos, and other electronics used to handle the clutches and shifting such that it acts like a classic automatic transmission. But it has the mechanical efficiency of a manual transmission.

In persistent stop-and-go driving, the clutches can get too hot, and the transmission has sensors to protect the clutches, resulting in the message you get to pull over and let it cool down.

Ford has had several Customer Satisfaction programs (think voluntary recall) on the clutches, transmission, and the software managing of all of it. If you think the condition you experience is happening in an unacceptable or dangerous fashion, or not in persistent stop-and-go traffic, discuss this with your Ford service department, or call Ford Customer Service. They are somewhat sensitive to satisfying customers with this transmission.

3. Sensor problem? Transmission overheating