Q: Clunking noise from rear

I have a clunking noise coming from the rear of my car when it shifts from 1st to 2nd I just replaced the tranny and it worked fine and shifted through all gears greatly for a week then acted up

A: Hi there. This is a somewhat common issue w...

Hi there. This is a somewhat common issue with the majority of the E90’s and E46 BMW’s. These motors have what is a called a dual mass flywheel which is commonly known for creating this kind of a slight clunk at lower RPM’s due to the imbalance between engine torque and transmission torque (common at lower rpm). The flywheel is actually two pieces of steel separated by a very hard piece of rubber, the wind-up in the flywheel can occur when the rubber is loaded then released. It is usually most evident at high torque differential (engine torque mismatched with transmission torque), low engine speed conditions. If you would like to have this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your car’s location to correctly diagnose the noise.