Q: How do I tell if my power steering is going bad in my 2005 BMW x3?

My car started making squealing noises when I turn left or right, not too bad though. But before I noticed that the steering got really hard when I was at a complete stop or slow corners, I've checked the fluid and it is full. There are no leaks, the hoses are not hot, the belt looks fine, my question is what is wrong with this car of mine?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, it sounds like your steering rack is done for, and needs to be replaced. This appears to be a wide-spread problem with this vehicle, without a recall or customer satisfaction program from BMW. If you would like help with this replacement, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the replacement for you.

3. How do I tell if my power steering is going bad in my 2005 BMW x3?