Q: Yellow brake light on & displays

Recently the brake light came on (not the E brake) and the light is Yellow. I’m thinking it is the brake pads or a similar problem. Before the yellow light came on, I had started the car and an icon appeared of a car on a lift. There is no screeching in the brakes. I can’t find the reservoir for the fluid and the front pads are low. I know a little about cars, but I’m not an experienced mechanic and I don’t have a manual. If the problem is the pads, I can change them myself. Do you think that is the problem and if so, will an od2 machine tell me exactly what the problem is?

Hello. A scan tool will not tell you why this light is on. It is on because the brakes are worn out. You need to inspect them and replace the worn out ones and install new wear sensors. These sensors are what turn the light on when the pads are worn. If you want to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your brake system and determine which component(s) need replacement.