Q: Hard to get into first gear

When the car is at a stand still i have trouble getting it into first gear. Every other gear is okay but first is tough. I can sometimes slip it into first when i am slowing down and it clunks in at around 2mp/h. I can also start the car in first and it is fine. I had the clutch cable replaced about 2 months ago after it got stuck in first and the clutch cable broke. It changed gears well for the first couple of weeks after that but now has gone back to being difficult. I basically want to know if i am looking at a new clutch or if something else could be causing this? A few things i have tried: Pumping the clutch a couple of times before trying to engage first does not make a difference. Going from second into first does not make a difference. Slowly pulling the clutch out and trying to engage does not make a difference. Thanks in advance.

This may suggest failing transmission synchros. As you may know, when a clutch drags, it is not letting go of the disk fully which overloads the synchros and burns up the friction surfaces quickly. Synchros work by speeding up or slowing down the input shaft and clutch disk by acting like a brake. If the clutch is dragging, the synchro friction surface is trying to speed up and slow down the engine’s mass, which is impossible. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

3. Hard to get into first gear