Q: Car keeps dying and when you try to start it back up it acts like there is no power to the starter

asked by on March 02, 2017

So yesterday I was driving and all of the sudden my tack display started going haywire and I had no power to the car what so ever. So I pulled off into a parking lot to see what was going on and the car killed itself. I then proceeded to try and start it back up but it was like there was no power to the starter at all, so I push stated it and it started right up got it home and shut it off proceeded to try and turn it back on to see if it would start back up( which it did). Now today when I went to get in it it starts up and instantly starts doing the same thing again. I try to push start it again and it won't even start like that. Just wondering if you have any advice on what it could be or what I should be looking for?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. When diagnosing this type of no-start, there are several things you will want to test first to make sure the basic charging system is working to supply the starter with power. When driving, the majority of the electrical power is supplied by the alternator, and the battery is used to complete the circuit. Changes are one of them has failed. Have your battery tested first, which can be done at most local automotive parts stores. Replace the battery if needed, and proceed to looking into the alternator next. If these system check out, then you want to make sure the battery cables and ground connections are clean, dry, and tight. If the above components all pass their tests, then you may want to resort to checking your ignition switch. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.