Q: Cupped tires

asked by on December 14, 2016

A couple of months ago I started hearing a noise in the front of my car. When I went to get the car checked out they said I had a cupped tire on the front passenger side of my vehicle. I just got new tires six months before this incident. They told me my car was out of alignment so I got the car aligned. They told me my tires were practically brand new and that in order to fix the noise I would have to replace the tire. The noise wasn't dangerous so I didn't replace the tire. Now I got my tires rotated and I still hear the same noise in the front. The cupped tire should be on the back so I thought the noise would get better. So now I am wondering if I have two cupped tires or if something else may be wrong with the tires or wheel area? This is the second time this has happened and no explanation as to why my tires keep getting cupped. I buy the more expensive tire thinking they will last longer but then I end up having to buy tires again because they get cupped. Any advice?

Cupping on tires Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

Cupping on a tire is one of the more difficult items to diagnose; due to the multiple causes of cupping. In most cases, cupping is caused by suspension components like struts that are worn out; causing the tire to absorb more shock than it should. When you combine this with low air pressure, poor tire quality or certain driving methods; the tread on the tire will separate, causing the tire to "cup". The best way to pinpoint why your tires are cupping is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a cupping on tires inspection.