Whining sound in engine of 2009 hyundai genesis sedan.

A few months ago, I noticed a whining sound in the engine when I start the car and it gets less noisy as the car idles but then get louder with movement. It's quite annoying for an engine that's usually silent when running. What could be the problem?

It sounds like you may have a failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.