Q: Low voltage light on dash

asked by on November 25, 2016

Jeep started fine, put it in drive and automatically shifted I to 3rd gear (which is an ongoing problem while driving). Parked car, turned it off and tried again a couple more times. Finally it drove in D and battery light came on. Drove home, turned it off, tried again and wouldn't start. Making rapid clicking sound. 2 wires on PCM where damaged and repaired, battery replaced (went down to 60% after driving about 1mi - battery light turned on dash- having checked at auto part store), alternator tested good 3x at 2 different auto part stores. All fuses and wires have been checked. No other ideas

Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This seems to be a common problem with Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep vehicles. Many of these vehicles have a fusable link wire that goes from the battery to the alternator. When this fusable link fails, the charge from the alternator will never reach the battery. I would recommend having this wire checked for continuity. If this wire has no continuity, the fusable link has failed. If the fusable link has failed, the wire will require replacement in order for the charge to reach the battery. If you would like to have this fusable link wire inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the fusable link wire for you.