Q: What would cause a replacement for the thermostat housing for a vehicle under 36000?

asked by on December 26, 2016

My engine light came on and I took my 2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude in and it is still under 36000. This was just after a hard freeze and I purchased and had the vehicle less then a week. They kept it 2 weeks and then the repaired it saying it was just a simple mechanical malfunction of the thermostat housing. What would cause such a malfunction?

Hi there. If the thermostat housing was made of plastic (carbon fiber) and the temperature outside dropped below the freezing point of the cooling system, then the coolant would have froze up and expanded causing the thermostat housing to crack. Also, if the coolant has too much electrolyte causing a slight voltage in the coolant, then the chemical compound will break down causing the cooling system to eat up seals and carbon fiber.