Q: Check light, car died, wont start without turning key to electric position for a few mins

Yesterday my check light came on, which is normal for my car because I have an issue with the ecu for my speed sensor. When I got home, as soon as I pulled into the driveway, my car died with not warning. I couldn't get it to start. We checked the fuses, timing belt, etc. So anyways today when my mechanics assistant came by with the code reader, he turned the car to the electric only position (with the key) and after a few mins it started. Im thinking it could be the fuel pump. Any advice?

A: Hello. This can be caused by a number of th...

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. When the engine does not start I usually check it to see if it is lacking spark or fuel. This would tell me where I need to start. Most of the time this is a failure in the distributor itself and not a fuel system issue. I have also seen the main relay fail as well as the ignition switch. If you want to have this starting issue fixed, consider having a YourMechanic certified technician come to your home or office to diagnose why the vehicle will intermittently start.