Q: Loud metal to metal thud sound when turning and changing gears

If i turn or punch the gas a loud sound thumps. It sounds like the catalytic converter pops up and hits the body of my car, I'm sure that's not it but that's what sounds like. Also when am accelerating then I let go of the gas, sometimes it'll feel like the brakes are pumpes then let go.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. If you’re...

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

If you’re getting a loud banging on acceleration, I would say it sounds like you have worn engine or transmission mounts, or perhaps a worn torque arm bushing that mounts the solid rear axle to the body of the car. Worn engine or transmission mounts would allow entire engine to shift enough that part of it could contact a cross member or part of the body. If the solid rear axle was loose at all from a worn torque arm bushing, it could make a banging noise as it shifts position on the car. Any of these could cause symptoms like you described, though these are certainly not the only possibilities. I suggest that you have a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, drive your car and diagnose the noise for you.