Q: Oil changed from 10w-30 to 5w-20 and there were loud clunking sounds in the engine

I use 10w-30 oil for my car that has 200,000 miles on it and is regularly maintained. It works well overall. However, when I went to get the oil changed, they put in 5w-20. I was concerned because this is a high-mileage vehicle. After the oil was changed, I drove and heard a clunking noise, which was very loud, so I took the car back to the mechanic. They told me that the engine went out and I need to replace it. I am confused as this never happened before.In fact, I checked the stick, which showed there was no oil at all. Do you have any suggestions what caused this? Is this because they put other weight oil?

A: No, this is not because they put the wrong ...

No, this is not because they put the wrong weight oil in - it sounds like they forgot to put oil in at all! Or possibly they left the drain plug loose and the oil dumped out as you drove away. Regardless, if there was no oil on the dipstick right after you had your oil changed, they did something wrong and should be held accountable. Next time, I suggest you have your oil changed by someone else. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option and can perform this service at your home or office.