Q: Check engine light/emissions workshop! blowing black smoke while accelarating, among other acceleration issues.

My car is blowing a lot of black smoke while accelerating and when going up hills or accelerating to get onto the freeway it stutters/has trouble getting up to speed. Last night it would not accerlate past 60mph, even though I had my pedal to the floor. Recently got the check engine light, with the Emissions workshop message. thank you

A: Hello. Black smoke is usually the result of...

Hello. Black smoke is usually the result of an excessively rich condition. The black smoke is a result of excessive fuel from a rich condition that was not burned in the combustion chamber, burning up afterwards, in the exhaust pipe, and producing black smoke. This can be caused by many things. If the Check Engine Light is on, I would recommend you have the trouble codes retrieved to see if they may shed some light on what the issue may be. A few common causes of black smoke are a faulty fuel pressure regulator, faulty injectors, or a problem with the engine management system. If the fuel pressure regulator, or one or more of the injectors fails, then it may be possible that extra fuel is being fed into the engine, causing a rich condition. Have an expert mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, test the vehicle and diagnose the smoke and acceleration issues so that this can be properly addressed.