Q: Misfire in cylinder #4

asked by on November 25, 2016

2013 Chevy Sonic 1.8 Lt, bad coil pack in the fourth cylinder, causeing a rough idle. It hasnt shown a check engine light yet. Just started last night, and it is fine at speeds over 10 mph, I cant get it in to the shop until Monday. Can i drive short distances, like 8 miles to and from work until then?

You should be fine to drive for a day or two with a misfire on one cylinder, however I would not recommend letting this go un-repaired as this is something will only get worse and may trigger additional problems and check engine codes. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Due to the number of different things that may cause an engine misfire, the quickest and easiest way to diagnose this type of problem is to hook the vehicle up to a scanning tool which will download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the vehicle’s computer as a result of the poor running condition. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.