Q: Stuttering with check engine light

My car started stuttering tonight, battery light was flashing on and off. It doesn't stutter once I'm up to cruising speed. I had the head gaskets replaced last summer. I tested the battery and alternator tonight, and they both are good.

It just recently started making a high pitched whine when I start it, and I've had some electrical issues with lights and stereo system recently as well. I've had no issues with it driving up until tonight, just trying to get an idea of what the issue may be. Thanks a lot.

If you are having an electrical system problem that is causing the lighting and other systems to have erratic issues then you need to check the alternator wire connections on the back of the alternator for loose or bad connections. The alternator may have an internal short causing ignition to get voltage spikes or the systems loosing voltage. Try to check the alternator with all the lights and accessories on high settings to load the alternator.