Q: Can I tow my car with the front wheels on the ground?

asked by on December 15, 2015

Can I tow my car with the front wheels on the ground?

Towing your car might be unavoidable, and while Honda doesn’t recommend ever towing your Accord with the front wheels on the ground, there are a couple of things you can do in this situation. Here’s what you need to know:

• Auto Transmission: If your Accord has an automatic transmission, you need to follow these steps:
  1. Crank the engine.

2. Shift the transmission to drive for 5 seconds. Then move it to neutral.

3. Cut off the engine.

4. Keep the ignition at I to prevent the steering wheel lock from activating.

5. make sure the parking brake is off.

• Manual Transmission: For manual transmissions, follow these steps:
  1. Move the gearshift to neutral.

2. Move the key to I.

3. Leave the parking brake off.

Tips

• While towing your car with the front wheels on the ground, don’t go over 35 MPH, and don’t drive more than 50 miles.

• Never tow your car by the front or rear bumper or you will damage it.

• Never tow your car with the steering lock on.