Q: the car is loud when I test drived it. When I accelerate it almost choked but overall runs fine, may just be muffler?

Getting ready to purchase used car for $1350 and test drived it out. The car starts fine but is loud. When I hit the gas the car moves fast/normally but with this loud sound included and the car also chokes a little bit. I just want to make sure this deal is not too good to be true and not get ripped off. It has 119k miles with some cosmetic dents (small)

A: Hello. It could be possible that the sympto...

Hello. It could be possible that the symptoms the vehicle is showing are due to an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak will usually cause increased exhaust noise, and if large enough or if the engine load is heavy enough, can negatively affect engine performance.

Usually an exhaust leak is not a big deal to repair, assuming it is not at the catalytic converter. If possible, I would closely inspect the vehicle or have a local expert check it for you. Also keep in mind that the low price may be related to the fact that there is issues with the vehicle. If you are serious about buying the car, consider having a professional from YourMechanic conduct a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle to unveil any faults that you may not recognize right away.