Q: check engine light came on and stearing went extreamly loose

driving home my check engine light came on and my stearing went extreamly loose. stearing wheel normally at 9 and 3 its at 12 and 6 parked with tires straight. checked fluids yes i need to add power stearing fluid but its just above the add line..other fluids seem fine belt still in place what could be wrong

Hi there. There are several issues that could cause this issue, ranging from damage to the steering column or power steering pump. If your steering wheel itself has turned and is no longer straight when tires are squared, it’s more than likely you have a steering column failure. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a steering wheel inspection as soon a possible as this could be a serious safety problem.

3. check engine light came on and stearing went extreamly loose