Q: Engine won't start and it's a fuel related problem because I can spray starting fluid in the throttle body and it starts.

asked by on December 25, 2016

I have to admit that I have been throwing parts thinking that I could fix it easily but no such luck. I have already replaced the fuel pump with a new strainer and fuel filter. Then I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it still won't start. I hooked up my scan tool and it gave me a P0446 code and I know that's an evaporative emission code but the engine should still start and run. The only other thing that I have noticed that while I am trying to start it that it has a terrible smell coming from the exhaust. I know that the fuel pump is working because I can hear it when I turn the key on which would indicate that the relay is okay. Guess that's about it so any help would be much appreciated.

It sounds like you may have an air leak present in your EVAP system. When an air leak is present in the EVAP system, the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the MAF sensor will not be able to determine the volume of air, entering the engine correctly. This will lead to an over fueling situation or an under fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and engine operating speeds and load. This may eventually lead to catalytic converter problems as well as misfiring problems. As you may know, if the MAP sensor is not working properly, depending on the severity of the air leak (and the related adjustments the MAP sensor is making to try and compensate for this), this may in fact cause the motor not to start. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.