Q: Car won't stay charged for some reason

asked by on July 11, 2017

I recently brought a battery used jumper cables to charge it drove around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes to an hour park the car turned it off as a precaution because i was scared for the other day the battery was weak it did the same thing it turned it back on just to make sure it would crank in it did but the next morning I came out to the battery almost dead how did I know because I could hear the door icon faintly telling me it was open.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Using used battery comes with no guarantees that they will work correctly. The battery may be having issues holding a charge. The alternator may also have issue charging the battery. Both should be tested with a voltmeter or at your local parts store. Your vehicle’s dashboard should have a voltage gauge that tells you what the alternator is sending the battery. As long as it is around 14 volts, the battery is getting what it needs to charge. If the battery and alternator are fine, you may have a paraditic draw sucking power from the battery when the car is off. Only further testing will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.