Q: Car won't accelerate.

asked by on August 05, 2016

The problem with my car is that whenever I fully stop and then try to accelerate it doesn't. It goes, but only like 5 mph and if I keep pushing the gas pedal the only thing that moves is the rpm. The rpm just keeps going up and the speed continues to stay at 5 mph. It also makes like a click sound after awhile of pressing the gas pedal and then the speed picks up. Once it starts running it runs fine but whenever I come to a stop or park and try to go it continues to do the same thing as mentioned above. Any idea of what it could be? Thank You.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $467.45 Get a Quote
Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Based on the information you gave, it sounds like you may be low on transmission fluid, or maybe some other internal transmission problem. The first thing I would check is the transmission fluid level. This is done with the vehicle running to ensure there is enough fluid circulating. If you are not comfortable checking the fluids, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.com, will be able to check it for you and further inspect your car’s acceleration issues.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr