Q: Choke not releasing upon cold startup.

After a cold start up the automatic choke does not release and the engine runs very rough. Once the auto choke is released, the engine performs normally.

Hello, the choke relies on 12v heating element, as it heats up it allows the idle speed cam to lower, allowing the idle speed to decrease as the car warms up. If the heating element has failed it will cause the car to have a higher idle longer than normal till it’s heated by the heat from under the hood. To test the choke a DVOM will be need to check power and ground to the choke. You can also check the resistance of the choke coil, if there is an open circuit the choke is bad. To test the choke with a cold engine, apply 12v from the battery to the choke coil at the positive side and see if the arm moves as the heating coil warms up. You my need the aid of a mechanic to perform testing and replacement.

3. Choke not releasing upon cold startup.