Q: Battery light on and vehicle died while driving

The light came on about 2 months ago, then the vehicle died while I was driving the battery was low and the alternater too went to test the vehicle wouldn't start not even the lights would go on had to tow. Got a new alternator put in everything seemed fine 2 weeks after that light came back on didn't mind it left it. 2 days ago the vehicle died on me again while driving this time the lights would turn on but wouldn't start. Bought a new battery and installed it light came back in today. Help

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. First thing to do is get the new battery checked and new alternator checked. In my years as a mechanic, there has been multiple times when I have installed a new out-of-the-box item and it was bad - so this is possible!

If the battery and alternator check good, then you are probably going to have battery ground issue or an grounded circuit in your vehicle that is draining your battery. Electrical issues are very hard to troubleshoot and pinpoint through messages, but these are some basic starting points. These problems are a process of elimination to solve.

If you would like to get a precise diagnosis, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting problem in person so that you can move forward with repairs.