Q: Transmission stuck in park

asked by on August 01, 2016

The transmission in my car wouldn't shift out park on several occasions, for which I went to the dealership multiple times. This started happening about a month ago. At the dealership, they had the gear shift mechanism replaced. However, the problem occurred again despite that. What could be problem?

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

In order to shift out of park, the transmission module needs to see the engine idling and the brake pedal depressed. If one of these criteria is not met, then it will not let you shift out of park. There may be a problem with the interlock again even though it was changed. I recommend having them check it again to see if it happens again. Make sure you are pushing the brake in far enough to cause the brake lights to be engaged. If you would rather have this looked at by another professional mechanic, one from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s shifting issue and assist you with repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr