Q: Car will not turn over after installing a new radiator.

asked by on June 09, 2017

My radiator was leaking, so I bought a new one and changed it out. After completing the change, the car will not start. It "clicks" as if it is trying, and the dashboard gets dim. However, I tested the battery and it is 12.8 volts. Maybe the ampage is too low to get it to start? The dashboard is now showing "EPC." I am wondering where I could go wrong in changing out the radiator? I am unaware if I shorted something out, or what happened. The car battery was disconnected throughout the radiator change.

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be very appreciated.

The radiator replacement and the present no start problem are just coincidences. Check to see if there are any stored diagnostic trouble codes. Be sure you have a fully charged battery that passes an actual load test. Confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the immobilizer system is on, you may see a security warning light. If the warning light is on, to temporarily override the immobilizer system, see these instructions. If there is no starter motor operation at all with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power AND voltage drops to the starter motor/solenoid. If there is no power, or a large voltage drop is measured, then the electrical circuit supplying the starter motor has a fault. The circuit that will have to be tested begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, and terminations. Basically, with a fully charged battery, and with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. If you want the foregoing diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr